Finding a Theme - 2 - Narrowing it Down

So, to recap. I was looking for a historical unit to give a late war Soviet theme list a bit of background. I like veterans and mobile units and I’m a big fan of the Soviet Scout Squad from the main Army book.  

Incidentally, my scouts are pictured - differentiated from the rest of the company by wearing a mix of Wehrmacht caps and native ushanka, the Russian fur hats, (I have a bit of a hat code in my forces for ease of ID on the pitch - all NCOs are bare headed or wear soft hats while all junior soldiers have their helmets on). I wanted the scouts to look like they were more piratical and independent minded hence the ushanka for the private soldiers. The NCO has a captured StG 44 which is treated as a normal SMG in game and the sharpshooter with the scoped rifle is treated as a normal riflemen in game.

Diversion aside.  Things have been narrowed down by agreement from my regular opponent that, post COVID, we will play through the Fortress Budapest campaign. 

So now looking for a Soviet mechanised unit that fought in the Budapest campaign - preferably with a neat badge that won’t be to hard to put on my vehicles.

Google...and thirty minutes plus coffee later...

Which turned up this rather good site with this image of a Lend Lease Universal Carrier from 14 Guards Mechanised Brigade part of 4th Guards Mechanised Corps plus a similar photo of a Lend Lease White Scout Car from the 13th Bde of the same Corps.

Looking promising with Lend Lease scout vehicles supporting my need for transports and scouts. Guards honorific supporting use of veterans and high end equipment. And the Corps fought on the Budapest axis.  Finally, also nice simple animal unit recognition flash for each Bde.

But which Bde?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest Campaign - Counter-attack at Pestszentimre

Budapest Campaign - Flak Regt 133

Budapest Campaign - Street Fighting in Pest